This article explains how to customize templates after they have been created. To learn how to create new templates visit the following guide: Template editor
Once a template is created the template editor screen is shown. This article focuses on how to customize your newly created template using the template editor.
Create and modify categories:
Customize templates by adding, deleting, renaming, copying, and rearranging lines:
Using Optional categories and lines
Edit settings specific to the template:
Learn how to customize ratings and how to have them show up automatically:
Adding new categories
- Click the blue + Add category button to add a new category
- A new Add category window will show up asking you to select from a sample category. Sample categories contain predefined options such as lines, additional inputs, and comments. In order to create a brand new category, the Blank category option should be selected. Once a category option is selected, the green Add button needs to be clicked to continue.
- The template editor window will reappear. It now includes the newly created category which was just added.
- The category can be renamed anything, however, slashes ( / ) should be avoided
NEW! Duplicate categories
Palmtech Complete now allows for entire categories to be easily duplicated in less than three clicks.
Navigate to the category you need to duplicate, click/tap the ellipsis (•••) button and select the Duplicate option. An exact copy of the category will be created and can be modified as needed.
Deleting and renaming categories
To delete or rename a category, click the ellipsis (•••) button and select the Rename or Delete option respectively within the menu that appears. Note: Deleting a category also deletes every line and sub-section within it.
The order in which categories are presented can be changed with ease. To rearrange categories in a new order, drag and drop the item you want to move to its new location.
Lines can be heavily customized to be comprehensive, or, they can be made concise; it's all your choice! They can have descriptions, media, locations, informational text, and comments. You can customize the choices available for these, as well as, pre-select items so that when you start an inspection some items are already filled out. However, when creating a new line, it only requires a name to be considered valid.
Adding new lines
- Lines are added within categories, new lines can be added using the blue + Add line button
NEW! Duplicate lines
Just like categories, lines can be easily duplicated in just a few clicks/taps.
Navigate to the line you need to duplicate, click/tap the ellipsis (•••) button and select the Duplicate option. An exact copy of the line will be created and can be modified as needed.
Deleting and renaming lines
The process of deleting or renaming lines is simple.
To delete or rename a line, click the ellipsis (•••) button for the line you wish to change and select the Delete or Rename option respectively within the menu that appears.
Lines can be easily rearranged. To rearrange them in a new order, drag and drop the item you want to move to its new location. Lines can't be moved from one category to another, they can only be moved within its parent category.
Optional lines and categories
Categories and lines can be set as optional for a template. This is done in the Template Editor. When a category or line is marked as optional, it will not appear in the default list when you start an inspection with the template, but it will be readily available to be added in. This is most commonly used for categories or lines that you need on occasion, but do not want to be a part of every inspection.
Marking a category as optional
To set a category as optional click the ellipsis (•••) button for the category you wish to modify, then select the Edit option.
Within the Edit menu, select the Optional setting to mark the category as Optional.
Once the category has been marked as Optional, the category will show an eye with a strike through it as a symbol to show that the category is optional.
Marking a line as optional
Like categories, lines can also be set as optional; an optional category may contain optional lines if required.
- To set a line as optional click the ellipsis (•••) button for the line you wish to modify, then select the Edit option.
- Within the Edit menu, select the Optional setting to mark the line as optional.
- Once the line has been marked as Optional, the line will show an eye with a strike through it as a symbol to show that the line is optional.
Using optional items in an inspection
Categories and lines which are marked as optional can be used during an inspection when adding a new category or line.
Adding an optional category
While performing an inspection, tap the blue + Category button at the bottom of the Category list.
After tapping the + Category button, a new menu will appear which lets you select from Optional or Standard categories; here you can find the categories which have been marked as optional. Tap the category you want to add to your inspection and then tap the blue Add button.
Adding an optional line
- While performing an inspection, tap the blue + Line button at the bottom of a Category
- Choose from the list of optional lines available for this category, tap it and then tap the blue Add button
Edit template settings
The options chosen for the template when it was created can be modified using the Edit template settings button. The button has the shape of a mechanical gear and is found next to the name of the template.
Settings such as the Type of Inspection the template is for, or, its Description can be modified from this screen. The template can also be deleted from this screen.
Templates include a set of default ratings, these ratings can be customized in several ways. New ratings can be added, existing ratings can be deleted or edited as well.
Adding new ratings
New ratings can be added to a template using the blue Add rating button.
Choose a name for the rating and provide a definition for it. Then select a color to go along with the rating. The Include in summary option lets you flag the rating so it always shows up in the inspection summary. Once your rating is complete, press the green Apply button in the bottom right corner of the window.
Editing or delete existing ratings
- To edit an existing rating, click the Edit button (pencil icon) for the rating you wish to modify. Make the changes you wish to make to the rating and then use the green Apply button to save them.
- To delete a rating, click the Delete button (red trash can icon) for the rating you want to delete.
Anatomy of a rating
- Name is what will appear in the report to demonstrate the rating
- Definition is a detailed explanation of what the rating means
- Include in summary is the option to use to make sure the rating being edited always shows up in the report summary. A great example of this is any rating that may be critical or requires high visibility. Ratings with this option turned on will show a flag symbol.
- Preview provides a quick glance at how the rating will appear in the report
- Select Color lets you choose from a variety of colors to go along with the rating
Setting up automatic ratings
In Palmtech Complete ratings are attached to comments and not entire lines, allowing for more control. Learn how to have ratings show up automatically depending on the comment in the following article: How do I set up automatic ratings?